Tuesday, February 1, 2011

God the Builder

The Small Child attends a Seventh Day Adventist creche. It's not a religion I know a great deal about, as an atheist, and and atheist moreover who comes from a Catholic background. But I digress. The creche is good and I have no problem with the religion. So far as I'm concerned, people have a lot of differing views, and the sooner you learn to (generally) respect them, so much the better.

But I digress further. So the Small Child is sitting with her small friends, singing a song about "God The Builder". Her Granny watches for a bit, with an expression on her face that the carers no doubt interpret as loving the song, and a better person might interpret as deep cynicism.

In the car later, Granny asks the Small Child what the song was

"God the Builder, Gran. Mummy and me went to a special store and bought the DVD, didn't we mum?"

Err, no.

Enlightenment occurs. The Small Child is mixing up God and Bob, a natural mistake given that both build, but Bob builds better.

Especially in this house, where God builds not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment