Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lord, Lord, Lord I'm so bored.

Pretty much as the title says really. I've an hour to go before I pack up for the weekend, and I'm over it. The high from the elections is dissapating, and while the Irish walloping the Poms in cricket is good, it's not matching the elections for sheer joie de vivre and excitement. Not even close.

The office is freezing, as per usual. I've got Beyoncé's "Halo" going though my mind, and  it's giving me big irritations. REALLY big irritations. Just on that topic, I never realised until now just how gob-smackingly ugly that name actually is. It's really, really bad. It think it's the emphasis on "yonce" in the middle. As a friend once quipped about the Fianna Fáil politician Royston Brady "sounds like something he'd do to you", so it proves with Ms Knowles.

However, having just tried to open the Fianna Fáil homepage in order to copy and paste those pesky fothars, I have discovered that at least my esteemed employer is an equal opportunities politics-prohibitor. Yet another of the multitude of irritating things recently is the fact that all the political sites I frequent, including, bizarrely, Counterpunch, are blocked by the internet filter. I might add that this also includes Hossam El-Hamalwy's blog 3arabawy. It makes the lunchtime reading of Facebook a very frustrating experience.

However, at least it includes the right wing. This is definite, albeit fleeting, satisfaction. And I am heartened by Eamonn McCann's latest article about cuts to the Health Service in Northern Ireland. He quotes a phrase from Nye Bevin "Tories are Vermin". So pithy, so pointed, so true.

And now I've only another half an hour before I can depart. Now that is good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment